I have totally been having one of those days. And at the end of a day like today, grilled chicken and steamed veggies just ain’t gonna cut it. But I also don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen cooking up a feast worthy of a major guilt trip afterwards. I just want something yummy (i.e., not healthy) that will be ready in the time it takes Special Agent OSO to do his 3 special steps. So Mexican Lasagna is what’s on the menu tonight in our house. There might also be a michelada or two (or 3).
Adapted from Eva’s Kitchen
1 lb ground beef
salt & pepper
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
5 flour tortillas
8 oz. salsa (not chunky)
1/2 can black beans, rinsed
8 oz. shredded Mexican cheese
4 oz. sour cream
1 4.5 oz. can green chilies (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F, and coat a 8-inch cake pan with cooking spray.
- Season beef with salt and pepper and brown over medium heat.
- Pour broth into a sided container and dip each tortilla in, making it moist but not soggy.
- Place tortilla at the bottom of the pan, then top with 2 T sour cream, 1/4 cup meat, a scattering of black beans, 2 T salsa, 1/3 cup shredded cheese, and 2 T chilies, if using.
- Top with another tortilla and repeat with 3 more layers of filling, finish with a final tortilla on top.
- Spread remaining salsa and cheese on top, covering the final tortilla.
- Spray one side of aluminum foil with cooking spray, and place that side down on top of pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, serve hot with additional salsa and sour cream if desired.